Monday 11 February 2013

Keeping Those Pantry Thieves Away

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer from a pantry thief? I think mine are aged about 6, 9, & 12 and can smell a box of snacks a mile away. They are not bothered about the box being closed, will break into it anyway they can, exits the pantry with guilty looks on their faces, crumbs on their lips and the quick "I didn't do it" reply when questioned about who ate the snacks.


And it always seems to happen just before dinner!



I find it so frustrating when I come to packing school lunches and there is nothing left in the boxes. Then I find myself at the last minute pulling out the good old faithful popcorn machine and popping batches of popcorn.




Now I know I am not the only one as I have had many other parents discuss this issue with me and most seem lost with what to do about it.



I believe I have come up with a solution. It's no miracle cure and the thieves still lurk when mothers back is turned. But it certainly seems to be leaving my thieves empty handed since I started my anti snack thief solution.



I must say it even deters me from giving into the snack attack craving.



So after doing the grueling task of grocery shopping; which can prove to be more like an intense workout at the gym as opposed to something of a leisurely nature. Especially when unpacking it all.




I grab the boxes of crackers, shapes, biscuits - whatever the snack may be and I wrap individual amounts/portions of snacks into cling wrap (food packaging film).







I then place these wrapped goodies into a plastic container with a snap on lid. When it comes to packing school lunches, which I do the night before, it has become so quick and easy. Just grab the snacks and throw them in.



At first when I started doing this it was to make preparing school lunches quicker and easier, but I have found that those sneaking thieves tend to not open the container. Whether it is that they know its for their lunch boxes or that it is too time consuming to open the container and unwrap the goods, I am unsure.



All I can say is it works for me and now I have snacks in my cupboard for the week instead of running out half way!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...